Your privacy is important to us. At the Wisconsin Historical Society, we are committed to maintaining the privacy and accuracy of your personal information and to protecting such information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. This Statement of Privacy describes how the Wisconsin Historical Society treats information received about you when you provide information to us and when you use the Wisconsin's Maritime Trails Web site. Please read this Statement of Privacy carefully. This statement addresses the following.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
You do not need to provide any information that identifies you ("Personal Information") to use the Wisconsin's Maritime Trails Web site. In general, you can visit our Web site without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information. When you do provide us with personally identifiable information, we may use that information in the following ways, unless stated otherwise: we may store and process that information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our products and services and we may use that information to contact you.
How Personal Information is Protected
The Wisconsin Historical Society takes reasonable steps to protect Personal Information. Wisconsin's Maritime Trails Web site uses technologies and processes such as access control procedures, network firewalls, and physical security. These technologies and methods increase the security and privacy of information traveling to, from, and within the Wisconsin's Maritime Trails network.
The Wisconsin Historical Society also safeguards Personal Information from unauthorized access. Only authorized Wisconsin Historical Society employees or agents carrying out permitted business functions are permitted to access Personal Information. Employees who violate the Wisconsin Historical Society's privacy access policies are subject to disciplinary actions, including termination when appropriate.
Changes to Wisconsin's Maritime Trails Statement of Privacy
Wisconsin Historical Society may make changes to this statement from time to time. We will post changes to our privacy statement here, so be sure to check back periodically.
If you have questions or would like additional information, please feel free to contact us.
Wisconsin Historical Society Copyright and Use Information
All material on the Wisconsin Historical Society's World Wide Web Site is copyrighted by the Wisconsin Historical Society unless otherwise indicated. It is for the personal use of students, scholars, and the public.
The nature of historic archival collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult to determine. Whenever possible, the Wisconsin Historical Society provides information about copyright owners and other restrictions in the catalog records, finding aids, and donor records. The Society provides such information as a service to aid patrons in determining the appropriate use of an item, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the patron.
Images reproduced from Wisconsin Historical Society collections are for viewing and personal use only. Permission for commercial use or any publication, manipulation, display or distribution is only granted by written application to the Wisconsin Historical Society. An application form and instructions for permission for commercial use can be found at this Web site.
Conditions of Use When Receiving Written Permission from the Wisconsin Historical Society.
- Credit must be given to the Wisconsin Historical Society and the creator of the item (e.g. the author or photographer) if known.
- Permission to reproduce, publish, broadcast, display, or distribute an item or text must be requested in writing. Permission is granted in writing, not orally. Possession of an item does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish it.
- Permission is for one-time use only. The Wisconsin Historical Society retains all rights to the items or text, and the requestor warrants that they will not be used for any purpose other than that listed on this permission form.
- In some cases, the Wisconsin Historical Society will request that a copy of the publication be donated to the Society.
- The person requesting permission must secure copyright clearance from the copyright holder, if known. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Society, the requester agrees to hold harmless the Wisconsin Historical Society, its officers and employees from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
- Images may be cropped to suit design and layout, but they may not be altered or drawn upon or manipulated in any way so that they look different from the way they appear in the historical collection.
- The Society reserves the right to refuse to grant permission and/or provide photo reproduction services to publishers and individuals who have not complied with our policies.